Vicksburg Living Cookin’: The perfect seafood and salad combination
This recipe for “Shrimp and Crab Salad with Ginger Dressing” by Vicksburg chef William Furlong was featured in the May/June 2020 edition of Vicksburg Living.
• 1 pound large gulf shrimp, peeled, deveined, boiled and chilled
• 8 ounces lump crab meat
• 1 head Bibb lettuce, washed and chopped
• 2 cups of red and/or yellow grape tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon ginger root, peeled
• 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon shallots or red onions, diced
• Juice of two limes
• 1 cup soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, washed, stemmed and chopped
• 2 cups mayonnaise, chilled
In a food processor combine ginger, garlic and onion. Puree until smooth.
Add pepper flakes, lime juice, soy, cilantro and honey. Blend for one minute.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and mixture until smooth. Chill before serving.
On a plate, top lettuce with shrimp, crab and tomatoes.
Drizzle with dressing.
The Bibb lettuce is a tender and delicious alternative to the spring mix. The ginger dressing can be stored in the fridge for two weeks. Make a double batch. It is a good sauce for seafood or dressing for salads.
About our chef
William Furlong leads monthly classes at the Southern Cultural Heritage Foundation focusing on different aspects of food, cuisine and techniques.
While attending Ole Miss, William worked in the restaurant business and continued that passion when he moved to Vicksburg. He helped manage food and drive operations at local casinos and catered local events.
Today, he also leads catering efforts at The Duff Green Mansion, one of Vicksburg’s historic bed and breakfast operations, and sells homes with Coldwell Banker All Stars.
For more information on how to receive Vicksburg Living magazine at home, call 601-636-4545.